Principally, we distinguish between two treatment approaches with a variety of options:
1. Curative procedures - healing
The requirement here is to confine the prostate cancer to the prostate.
Can be used with warranted results:
• Brachytherapy (internal radiation)
• External (outer) irradiation
• Surgical removal of the prostate by way of radical surgery
Currently several interesting processes in the curative treatment of localized prostate cancer are tested; however, because of the still outstanding evidence of their long-term effectiveness, they cannot be used as standard therapies.
These experimental procedures include
• HIFU (high intensity focused ultrasound)
• Cryotherapy (freezing the prostate)
2. Palliative procedures - relief of symptoms
- Ten misconceptions about the treatment of prostate cancer
- ESTRO: Brachytherapy achieves excellent results
- Second Tumar after Prostate Cancer Therapy?
- Prostate Cancer is operated too often
- Fewer complications after laser therapy
- Prostate cancer: Spacer Gel protects against radiation damages
- Dr. Neubauer nominated again best urologist in Germany
- Prostate Cancer - Surgery often not justified